Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The crafty world of Chi Designs

This week the BrisStyle team caught up with Chi from Chi Designs, the perfect place to stock up on gorgeous handmade bags, clutches and accessories.


How would you describe your work?
I try to create bags and accessories that I would be happy to use myself. I spend a lot of time sourcing unique materials and fresh ideas to keep things interesting. I create a limited range of each design to keep items one-of-a-kind.


How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I began sewing as a hobby in March 2009 to fill in my spare hours. After making many mistakes and learning how to sew through many online tutorials; I found I was able to create a few bags that others really enjoyed. I opened my store on Etsy to spread the enjoyment and to fill my creative void.


Who or what inspires you?
I am continually overwhelmed and inspired by the work of the crafty folk found in Brisbane and interstate. The young design community is constantly surprising me with the interesting work that they create around me. And I am constantly pushing myself to emulate the wonderful creations I find daily on Etsy and Australian design blogs.


Can you describe your studio / work area?
I work full time, so my creative work area can be found wherever and whenever I can find the time to fit it in. At any which time; you can find fabric, pins, scissors and glue in my bed, by my TV, in our study and on my balcony.

What is your favourite thing in the shop at the moment?
I love my Love Clutch design, at the moment. It is designed using an organic hemp/cotton blend fabric by Umbrella Prints. It is bright and cheery and makes you think about love!


Check out more from Chi here
Website
Shop
Blog
Facebook
Etsy

6 comments:

Jetta's Nest said...

Great interview Chi....I love your Love Clutch too!

Sam

Helen said...

Chi I can't believe that you only started sewing last year! You must have been destined to do it as your bags and accessories are divine and the quality impeccable.

Congrats on the great interview and thanks so much for sharing your story.

xh

Chrisy said...

Love the blend of modern fresh fabric designs with the simple purse/clutch.

Ange said...

OOh, very nice!

Unknown said...

i think there are really lovely.

Amalou said...

Great interview, your clutches are so lovely. The fabric with little bikes is adorable.