Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Don't miss Cairo Made That at BiECO!

Catherine, the mosaicist behind Cairo Made That lives and breathes all things eco so we're thrilled to announce that she will be joining us at the BrisStyle Indie Eco Market.


"My main form of artistic creation is mosaic, which is one of the most eco-friendly and enduring art forms around. Every time I cut a piece of glass, or smash a plate, I keep and reuse every single off cut right down to the last shard to reuse. I quite literally waste almost nothing! The glass that I use in my Russian dolls comes from old picture frames sourced from op shops. The mirror comes from a big box of mirror tiles that I bought from a garage sale that had formerly graced someone's bathroom. Some of the wings on the birds that I make have a lovely history from their previous life inside people's china cabinets. What is so great about mosaic as an art form, is that there is an endless supply of material which doesn't harm the planet.....plus the finished product will last forever!"


"I grew up fascinated by my mother's button bottle, and have been saving the buttons from every single garment since I was young. These are now being used in headbands and brooches and hair elastics, made with materials that I have sourced from op shops. I like to buy clothing in pretty fabrics, then cut the buttons off, and cut up the fabric and turn them into pretty fabric flowers. I also love upcycling second hand clothes, to give them a fresh lease of life in a new form."


"Second-handing is a way of life for me - I have always loved visiting garage sales and op shops. A few years ago I made a conscious decision to only wear clothing (apart from my smalls) which is handmade, gifted or thrifted. It has been surprisingly easy, incredibly cost effective, and I have a very extensive wardrobe full of interesting pieces. My children have grown up always knowing this way of life, and are expert op-shoppers themselves. I'm very excited to be a part of the BrisStyle Indie Eco Market, which promotes these values! I can't wait to see what everyone else's stalls will be like!"


Pop by the BrisStyle Indie Eco Market on this Saturday 10 July, 9am-2pm at St Augustine's Church Hall and Grounds, Racecourse Road, Hamilton to check out Catherine's beautiful mosaics. BiECO is supported by Peppermint Magazine.

1 comment:

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Hi,

I am just passing the word along to as many Etsy people as I can about a blog called Tools Are For Women Too! This blog is attempting to do something pretty special for Etsy store owners and crafters. Tools Are For Women Too is putting together a link party to help us advertise and sell our products. It is his way of "paying it forward". The name of the party is Times Are Tough Thursday and I think it is pretty nice of him to do this for us. Please consider passing the word along to others about this nice event. Here is the link to his party announcement if you would like more information...

http://toolsareforwomentoo.blogspot.com/2010/07/times-are-tough-thursday-link-party.html