Wednesday, December 5, 2012

{FEATURED DESIGNER} Blue Jacaranda

Owned and run by Linda Robertus, Blue Jacaranda is a wonderful small business with a big heart!  Screen printed goodies for your home have always been a weakness of mine and Blue Jacaranda's products are adorable.  I think my favourites might be their Calligram Cards, the Kookaburra one would make the perfect gift for my Scottish in-laws!  *grin*  I think you'll agree that Blue Jacaranda's work is amazing, so sit back, relax and read how Linda's business came to be. 


How would you describe your work?
I have two main product lines – the first consists of my original designs screen printed onto art cards, ACEO and t-shirts; stretched on canvas and as PDF files to print at home. The second line, which is threatening to take over my shop, consists of items made from coffee sacks, such as pillows, aprons, pencil rolls, bookmarks, cards and ornaments. I also sell a few other things such as art quilts, eyeglass cases and luggage tags. 

How did your Etsy shop come into being?
I like sewing small items such as fabric postcards and pencil rolls and at some point in 2010 decided to open a MadeIt shop to try and sell them. That went very well and in September 2011 I took the plunge and opened an Etsy shop as well. Initially the idea of an Etsy shop scared me a bit – Etsy is so big, I thought I’d drown there. But I am loving it and Blue Jacaranda is doing quite well.


Who or What inspires you?
The world around me. Birds, animals, trees, flowers, seed pods, bicycles, colour, music… The list is endless!

Do you ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’ as part of your creative process?  If yes, how is your art / craft eco-friendly? 
Obviously my whole burlap (Hessian) line is about recycling. I also try to do most of my screen printing on recycled fabrics – but I still have a large stash of commercial fabrics that need to be used! I have decided not to buy any new fabric though.


Can you describe your studio / work area? 
For screen printing I use our kitchen table. I am lucky to have a sewing room studio, where I spend many happy hours. 

What is your favourite thing in the shop at the moment?
That would be the Burlap Pencil Roll.  I just love the combination of the plain burlap with the colourful threads.


Do you have any other places that people can view/purchase your work? 
Online store: Etsy and madeit 
Twitter & instagram: @lindarobertus

My burlap items can also be found in the Reverse Garbage Gift Shop (at Woolloongabba).

No comments: