Monday, July 28, 2014

Meet the Maker - Jessica Hallagan - The Good Thing

Hello there and welcome to another edition of our Meet the Maker series.  This week we're getting up close with Jessica from The Good Thing...


How would you describe your work?
I do custom cross stitch of family members, or bands or movie casts. I have              recently started doing another cheaper range without the option to customize.


How did you start selling online/ Etsy?
I haven’t stated an Etsy store yet; I am available through Facebook, Instagram and also for sale at Thousand IslandDressing, New Farm.

Who or what inspires you?
I am a big movie buff, I watch a lot of movies! And I also love music, it’s very rare when there not some background music on. Also my family, I have such a close relationship with my family and in fact the very first cross-stitch family portrait I did was a present for my sister-in-law and that’s what kicked off the whole idea to sell. We are a very creative bunch; I have always done craft with my mother, even at a young age watching her on her pottery wheel.

My husband is a bit of legend too, I often come home arms full of supplies and after a quick explanation- he has built whatever crazy idea I had had in my head! Ha, he’s great.


Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process?  If yes, how is your art/craft eco-friendly?
For my cross-stitch portraits I try to use the same hoops over and over. I guess I could be more consciousness in this aspect.

Describe your studio/workspace?
I work as full time nanny in Norman Park so often I am working in the backyard, or park with the kids or in the lounge room when they are napping. Definitely a lot of time gets spent cross-stitching in my lounge room at home too. I bought myself a chest of drawers last year to keep all my frames, hoops and spare craft supplies in, that was a great fun decorating that.

What is your favourite thing to make?
I love doing the custom family cross-stitch. This is my main focus and my main joy. The are such a personal gift and I think the gift receiver can see how much time and effort and thought there loved one had put into their special present.

How did your business/shop name come about?
Ha, I took woodwork in high school- was horrible!- but I made a turtle shaped pot holder for my father for fathers day, it was so rubbish, the eyes were so uneven and all the joints underneath were so obscure. My father of course loved it- flaws and all- and has referred to it as “The Good Thing” ever since! It just seemed like the perfect name to start my business with.


Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months?
Omigoodness, everywhere. I would like to get my product into a few more shops and I have a PR friend urging me to let her approach magazines ect on my behalf (still a little daunting, TGT has only been opened 11 months). As my husband and I would like to start a family this year I’m looking forward to hanging up my nanny shoes and move into solely focusing on TGT and having this as my main source of income.

I would also like to get started on my Etsy store! And do a couple of markets. Joining BrisStyle was my first step in world domination, so its all go from here!!

What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?
So many things, I spent my early 20s in London and travelled a lot through Europe and found my self lost in many souks and markets. I adored a pair of handmade leather orange sandals that I had purchased in Morocco and burst into tears 2 years ago when I discovered my little puppy ate them.

Recently I have bought a customised portrait of my dog from Studio Cockatoo as a birthday present for my brother.

Where can we find you online/stockists (links etc)?

Instagram @Thegoodthingthings.

No comments: