Sunday, September 27, 2015

Monday Maker - Joy of Luminescent Glow Candles

This week we interview Brisstyler Joy, from the label - LuminescentCandles 

Hello JOY  can you tell us a bit about yourself.

Were you creative as a child?
Yes I believe that I was.  I remember (when I was about 8) that I used to collect coloured sands when I was a child to make into colourful bottled arrangements to give away to friends and family. 

Do you come from a creative family? 
My father is a very talented creative woodcrafts man and he has spent most of his spare time over the past 50 years or so building beautiful pieces of furniture and boxes. 

How would you describe your work?  
I would describe it as a work in progress lol.  

I started making soy candles over three years ago and have just started to introduce some jewellery items.  

On a personal level, I would describe my work as  therapeutic as well as unique in some ways. 

How has your work evolved since you started? 
My work is growing all of the time, especially in terms of presentation.   

My packaging for example is a lot more professional looking than it was three years ago.  

Do you sell online? And how did you get started? 
I first started selling to friends, from my Facebook page, on online garage sales and at a local flea market.

Who or what inspires you? 
My suppliers inspire me because without them I wouldn’t be able to create and produce the items that I do.  They offer the pretty things, I buy them then come up with even prettier things.  

Do you reduce, reuse, recycle as part of your creative process? 
Soy wax is eco friendly in that it is not produced using harsh chemicals.  It is also a sustainable product derived from the soy bean plant, which is a totally renewable resource.   

Describe your studio/workspace?  
I currently use a spare bedroom as my work room.  At the moment I like to describe it as organised chaos, it too is a work in progress.   

What is your favourite thing to make?  
At the moment I am really enjoying making jewellery pieces and packaging them nicely.  

How did your business name come about?  
Here is the part where I admit that I am clearly somewhat insane because I have two businesses going on.  Crazy huh?
I started with Luminescent Glow, which recently got changed to Luminescent Glow CANDLE CO.  


I was quite content to meander along running this small (very small) hobby business when I accidentally stumbled across some lockets one day that had a little autism awareness charm in them. 

(I am a former sole parent carer of a boy with autism) Anyway, that was all it took for me to decide that I had to get my hands on them to sell.  So business no 2 arrived. 

To be perfectly honest, the name Luminescent Glow came about because after scouring the internet and registered business names page, it was the only name I could come up with that hadn’t already been taken.  

It has since grown on me though and is now recognised by quite a few people so it’s staying. 

Make A Memory Lockets And Accessories started just over a year ago. I chose that name due to these particular lockets being known as memory lockets. I decided that I could allow customers to create memories by adding little charms that reminded them of places or things that had happened in their lives.  

I now also make these lockets even more unique by designing the contents myself. 

Where do you see your creative journey taking you in the next 12 months? 

Hopefully with a little bit of luck and a heap more determination it will move past a hobby stage.   

What’s your top tip to others wanting to break into the handmade/creative market?
Don’t do it lol.   

Seriously though, it has been and still is a very rewarding pastime.  

It has given me a strong sense of purpose and allowed me to meet some very nice people who I am now proud to call my friends.   

Describe your typical creative day?
Do you really want to know?  I drag myself out of bed like I haven’t slept even though I’ve had a good 7 or so hours, down two cups of tea in quick succession then either hit the craft room or check emails and Facebook.  


On a really good day I might even get something done. 

Do you have a Favourite quote?
"You can make whatever you want out of your life, but first you have to not be afraid to try." 

Do you have a favourite CD to listen to while creating?
This might seem weird to some but I prefer (other than the odd bird chirping or dog barking outside) to work in complete silence.  

What is your favourite handmade item that you have bought?
Soap.  I know a local lady who makes high quality, addictively smelly, scrumptiously gorgeous soap. 

Where can we find you online?
 www.makeamemorylockets.com.au
www.makeamemorylockets.etsy.com

and also on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram as Make A Memory Lockets

How long have you been a member of BrisStyle?
This is my second year nowI can’t remember the exact date that I joined.  

How did you find out about brisstyle?
I found out through a friend

Why did you become a member?

Because BrisStyle is a high end quality market and I believe that the products I have to offer fit in with that level of quality. 

I also find other members to be friendly and helpful.

Why do you craft?

I have suffered a lot of adversity in my life so I craft as a form of therapy. 

Being able to show case my creative ability (I believe) is good for my mental health. 

I also get a small (cart wheels on the ceiling type) kick out of the positive feedback I receive from customers.  

Thanks so much for chatting with us today Joy, it was great getting to know a little bit more about your business. Anita x
 

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

I have to agree Joy. You're products are beautiful :)

Bronwyn said...

Oopsie! Should be 'your'.